The Cadillac Fleetwood is a model of luxury cars manufactured by General Motors from 1985 until 1996 years model.
Lawrence P. Fisher Fisher was the brother more closely involved with Cadillac in its early years. In 1916 he joined the Fisher Body Company which was formed by two brothers in 1908. Larry was one of four of the seven brothers Fisher brought Fisher Body Corporation under the umbrella of General Motors 1919. in May, 1925 Alfred P. Sloan, then head of General Motors, named Fisher Cadillac general manager, a position he held through 1934. Fisher I immediately went to work, adding exclusive custom bodies for Cadillac range . So he oversaw the purchase of Cadillac Fleetwood Metal Body Company by the Fisher Body Corporation in September 1925.
The Body Company Fleetwood of Fleetwood, Pennsylvania, was founded by Harry Urich in the nineteenth century. It began as a small community of artisans founded by Henry Fleetwood, Esq. Of Penwortham, near Lancaster, England. The rich traditions of the 300th anniversary of the creation of the Body Coach Fleetwood Company applies its work secured for her a great reputation in the circles of cars worldwide by 1920 Bodywork car was built by Fleetwood for a variety of luxury done through 1924. However, after the body Fisher body Corporation Company in 1925 bought Fleetwood, Fleetwood bodies were reserved exclusively for Cadillac. In 1929, GM bought the remaining shares of Fisher Body Corporation and thus became the sole owner of the two companies Fisher and Fleetwood.
From 1927-1934 Cadillac Fleetwood series all bodies offered as an option. Thereafter he became more selective Cadillac in the supply of organs Fleetwood in their series and 1938 the only way to obtain a Fleetwood car body was buying a Cadillac Series 75 or 90, and had even Cadillac Sixty Special body Fisher in its inaugural year. The script Fleetwood and the crest does not appear on the outside of any Cadillac until model year 1947, when she appeared on the cover of the rear cover Sixty Special. In 1952 he also appeared in the top of the back cover of the Series 75. Series 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham 70 joined the Sixty Special and Series 75 as the only models with bodies Fleetwood Cadillac Fleetwood or ridges script but do not appear in any part of the exterior. This marked the first time in 20 years that a car body Fleetwood was paired with the name Brougham.
Ironically, when production was moved in Eldorado Brougham 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood plant in Detroit Pininfarina in Turin, Italy, only then to acquire Fleetwood wheel discs and doorsill trim, presumably because they were still doing work touches design and end by Fleetwood. Eldorado Brougham production ceased in 1961, but in 1963 Eldorado Biarritz also became body and immediately Fleetwood Fleetwood acquired ridges on his haunches and Fleetwood rocker panel moldings. Curiously, the 1963 Eldorado Biarritz was also the first Fleetwood Cadillac convertible body from Series 75 stopped offering 4-door and 2-door convertible body and Cadillac Series 90 production ceased in 1941.
1985-1992 Cadillac Fleetwood
A new C-body platform front-wheel drive was introduced in 1985. The Cadillac Fleetwood shares the same 110.8-inch wheelbase than other cars C-body, the de Ville, Electra Buick and Oldsmobile ninety eight . The Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham continued to use the rear-drive platform, until 1986.
There was little else to cut differences between Fleetwood and de Ville. Elegance package that was previously available on-site Ville became an option Fleetwood. By 1986, Fleetwood was an option package on the council and technically not a separate model. He returned to separate the model state in 1987 (as “Fleetwood d’Elegance”) but the coupe was discontinued until 1989. He used the 1987 and 1988 Cadillac Sixty Special stretched about 115.8 inches (2940 mm) version of the new C-body, while the 1985-1987 Series 75 uses a 134.4-inch (3410 mm) stretched version same basic platform. Aluminum 4.1 L V8 HT-4100 was replaced by HT-4500 4.5 L 1988. The engine was increased to 4.9 L 1.991 HT-4900.
From 1989 Fleetwood coupe remained in the old 110.8 in (2810 mm) wheelbase, while the sedan saw its wheelbase increased to 113.8 in (2891 mm). The US $ 30,000 + price tag was a bargain compared to the big German luxury car of the time, but Car and Driver felt there was no comparison. They felt that the trip was “hard” surprising when combined with a “weak” 0.67 g of cornering. And the 155 horsepower (116 kW) V8 could only 10.9 s at 60 mph (97 km / h) for 3615 pounds (1640 kg) car.
Power up to 180 horsepower (130 kW) from the same motor 1990 4.5 L by using an intake manifold and other dual-stage changes. It was replaced by the 200 hp (150 kW) 4.9 L HT-4900 for 1991. The Cadillac Fleetwood left front wheel alignment for 1993. Sixty Special continued on his way to front-wheel drive, as it had done since it was reintroduced in 1987, but this would be last year. To visually differentiate the 1989-1993 De Ville models of the upper rung Fleetwood sixty special, the Cadillac Fleetwoods front and traction Sixty Specials use fender mounted “spats” or skirts on the rear wheels, while Cadillac DeVille had full rear-wheel openings wheels. For the past year, there were 5,292 special Sixty built in 1993, including 688 with the optional “Ultra” package that featured 22-way adjustable, designed in Italy by Giorgio Giugiaro front seats. This package distinctive seats had been standard since 1989 Sixty Special, but in 1993, became a choice of $ 3,550.00.
Although based in the Cadillac deVille, including Sixty Special eleven articles as standard, while the eleven items were optional at extra cost in De Villes, and there were also options for the Sixty Special, which were not available in the deVille, such as “memory seat” driver with two settings memory, a button “Exit” “when pressed automatically feeds the driver’s seat all the way back, and feeding of double reclining front seats. in the outside of the rear wheels were partially covered with fender skirts, giving the car a long and more “formal” look that deVille.
1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood
By 1993, the name was changed Fleetwood traction C-body Deville forward to the newly revised D-body rear wheel drive, the Cadillac Brougham had previously used. It was one of the first American front-wheel drive vehicles to be returned to the rear. A 225-inch (5,700 mm) in general, Cadillac Fleetwood was the longest car made production in the United States until it ceased production on December 13, 1996. All Cadillac Fleetwoods had standard antilock brakes, traction control and dual airbags front.
In 1994, Cadillac uses derivative LT1 Corvette 350 cubic inch (5.7 L) engine to 260 horsepower (190 kW), along with the new 4L60E automatic transmission. Cadillac Fleetwood Commercial chassis was used instead of Cadillac DeVille for funeral coaches and limousines between 1993 and 1996. The DeVille was used again in 1997. The Cadillac Fleetwood was withdrawn by General Motors in August 1996 to make way for Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe production. Another reason was that Cadillac had two large sedans in its line, the Cadillac DeVille and Seville, so direct replacement was not necessary.
1998-1999 Cadillac Fleetwood
The 1998-1999 Cadillac Fleetwood Limited was built by Superior Coach Company in Lima, Ohio. Superior took a regular production 1998-1999 Cadillac De Ville and stretched length. Exactly 314 were produced in 1998 and 467 were produced in 1999 for a total of 781.